Aug 29, 2011

Ben Life -growing up and understanding what out there!PART TWO (2)

I met a friend who introduced me to another friend who promised me to help me to go somewhere where I could get a little job and go to school at the same time. Yes, I thought to my self.  This might be a dream come true. Without knowing what was going to happen next, I left my village for the first time.
Reaching my new home, I found the new family and they welcomed me home very happily. What I did not know is that I was their blessing, because they now had a new Samba (field) boy.
There was a lot to do in that home, such as taking care of cows and other daily work. Every day I had to wake up very early in morning, do my work and then go for other things. After a while I was introduced to my new school which I was a day school. So I had to wake up in the early morning, do my work and then go to school.  Sometime life is not fair it reached time when I could hold my self any more not all our dreams come truth.
 After a while the schooling and work became so difficult for me and the school fees also became difficult for me so after consultations with my family, I decided to quit school and go to look for another good job.
In my job searching I met with this guy who helped me in understanding life and I told me a lot of things and encouraged me never to look back to my parent or my brother for help but focus in what you really wish to attain in life.
I got this small job in a restaurant where I was cooking food and selling food for a while. The restaurant business was not well the owner could not manage to keep all the worker so I had to leave the restaurant job and start selling breads with bike which in one day I had to cover an area of about 50 kilometres, the job was real tiring and some time so frustration a create of breads carry only 12 breads and in every create you profit was half of the bread, in all that time my education was not yet forgotten.  I was still thinking of how I could go back to school and studies to do something which can help me in my life and support my mother and younger brother and sister.
The bread jobs started also becoming so difficult sometime I had to go for all full day and the evening I have sold maybe only 5 creates and I have broken bike which half of my profit I had to use it to repair the bike for the next day sales.
Life is so funny I remember the best friend of mine at the time was a mortuaries attendance this guy was the funniest crazy person I have met some time he was so kind and honest to me he keep helping all the time with money take me for lunch or for drink as was normal for him.
I remember asking him one day how he survived in mortuary all the time and how he feel spending most of his time taking care of the dead people? ‘’(Muriithi he used to call me this) in life we are passing and nothing is good or bad in life but you have to do something when you are still alive, I have seen many beautiful ugly, rich and poor in my office non of them can tell me what it was when they were still a live or tell me what they want so when you have time and still alive do and share as you can with those close to you because tomorrow you never know where you will be. I never dreaming to do this kind of work but after my high school I had to search for job everywhere and how I find my self here I do not know but what I know now I love my job and am not ready to leave it for something else’’.
His word even today still rings in my mind this man made me think a lot of life and what we has human are and that what I told my self am only valuable when am breathing after am no different than any other worse bad, dirty things human hate and do not like in they life.
The truth is a stone or soil in ground is better than dead human there would be no use of dead but every day human use stone and soil are valuable every single day and no day they will be useless.
After a while I had saved a little money and my first friend came back again and welcomed me to Nairobi where I could go and do my dream course of driving, with which I believed to get a good job of driving a Matatu afterwards and help my family.
This was my third time to go to Nairobi. My first time was when I was in class (4) four with a school tour to Nairobi and the second one was with some friend who took me from home with him to show me Nairobi and his friends for a week. I really liked to go back Nairobi and I believed Nairobi was everything: I can walk in the street of Nairobi and collect as much money as I want because the money is made there and there are so many rich people staying there.
Reaching Nairobi for the third time with a lot of expectations and no longer as a school boy or in a hurry, I believed I would go back home rich with a lot of money and help my family, children and youth in my community.
Life is not easy as I wished it will be! My friend met me at stage took me to house where they lived with a friend we spend the night there talking so much the next day he took me to the driving school where I had to start immediately my driving course, I was the happiest person at that moment at last I have moved from the life of small village to a big city but it was too busy for me and too crowded with many people talking strangle language everywhere and worse thing I did see any coin on the floor only men in scarily face looking at me everywhere and I remembered what I talked with my friend the night before he told me some story of how Nairobi is dangerous someplace I have to avoid those places.  In Nairobi you must live like Nairobi people everyone is so nice the first time you meet them but after a while you have to be on your own which even today I never understand why maybe you have to work hard to get a job or everybody think you have one.
In the evening I couldn’t go back with my friend to house where they lived but I was introduced to and man who is friend of my friend who had to host me then later this friend took me to another friend who I had to sleep in his house and go to eat lunch and supper to first friend.
However, life in Nairobi was not as easy as I thought it would be. It was even worse than I can explain here. Sometimes I had to go for two days without food except for a Mandazi (donut) which I got from the friend who I was sleeping in his single roomed house, up and down in city of Nairobi. I tried my best to keep going on and sometime it was so much frustrating when I go for supper or breakfast to found out they have nothing for me so I had to go back sleep hungry or go school without breakfast,  I remember one time I could even get ten bob for Matatu to go to school so I had to woke up so early in morning some time with my donut friend when he used to go to sell them and walk to school so by the 8am I will be in town for my class. 
This is my part two of my life --- follow me for third part! Please give your comments or suggestion if you do not mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment